In 1885 a group of local singers created the Mixed Choir of the Catholic Church of Saint Andrew’s in Patras, which sang hymns on Sundays and important feasts.
-The Austrian chief musician Alberto Adlovic arrived in Patras approximately at that time to train the band that was created by catholics and so he also conducted the choir. Apart from Adlovic, the choir was also conducted by Grek from Corfu, leaving a legacy of musical works in the Parish of Saint Andrew’s in Patras.From the beginning of the 20th century, and for many continuous decades, the choir was conducted by Fr. Ioannis Sinigalias, who was the parish priest and organ player. After him, followed Fr Georgios Varthalitis and Fr Nikolaos Gavathas, who were also notable musicians and conductors. Today, Mr Nikos Sinigalias is the organ player and maestro. He has conducted the choir since 1988 without pause and with great success and is considered as a reformer, due to the fact that during his time many musical pieces have proven very successful in the Church and elsewhere. For example, in 2006, when Patras was the European Capital of Culture, the choir sang for the very first time, on a global scale, parts of the Adlovic’s Mass. Some musical pieces from other composers have also been presented, such as Pergolesi’s “Stabat Mater” and Leo Delides’ Mass, in cooperation with the Patras Orchestra in 2008 and 2009. Those two events were paramount for the Mixed Choir of St Andrew’s Catholic Church. Finally, the Christmas Concert, which consists of hymns and carols from the international repertoire, has become an essential event within the religious and cultural activities of Patras and has been offered every year with much love and respect to the music lovers of our city.